All animal-related services result from the mandate provided by the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw (23M2006)
. This bylaw allows Animal & Bylaw Services
to work with Calgarians to ensure that cats, dogs, their owners and neighbours live together in safety and harmony. Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, at three months of age all cats and dogs residing in the City of Calgary must have a City of Calgary licence. Licensing fees, not tax dollars, fund the following programs and services:
- We coordinate a volunteer animal socialization program – PAWS Pal – to help socialize the cats and dogs awaiting adoption at the Animal Services Centre.
- We operate a No Cost Spay/Neuter program for the cats and dogs of financially eligible Calgarians.
- I Heart My Pet rewards program offers pet owners discounts from various partnering vendors.
Report a concern
Responsible pet ownership
Animal & Bylaw Services does not advocate breed specific legislation, nor limiting the
number of pets in one household. This is because we believe that poor animal behaviour results from a failed relationship between pet and owner. Therefore, Animal & Bylaw Services advocates responsible pet ownership for cats
based on the following five principles:
1. License and provide permanent identification for: cats and dogs.
2. Spay or neuter pets.
3. Provide training, physical care, socialization and medical attention for pets.
4. Do not allow pets to become a threat or nuisance in the community.
5. Procure your pet ethically and from a credible source.
Contact Animal & Bylaw Services
- For general information, questions or comments please call 3-1-1 (within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).
- Cat and Dog Licensing: call 3-1-1 (within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary), or use our online licensing services.
- Fax: 403-268-4927
Animal Services Centre
The Animal Services Centre (animal shelter) at 2201 Portland Street S.E. is open Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. We are closed on statutory holidays.