Share this page Print

Building Permits

eHouse - find permit information on common home renovation projects using our interactive house.

Building Permit Complete Application Requirement Lists (CARLs), fee schedules, forms, and brochures provide detailed requirements necessary to process Building Permit applications.

A Building Permit IS REQUIRED to:

  • Erect a new building or structure (including retaining walls over 1.2 metres in height, swimming pools, and hot tubs), or

  • Demolish, relocate, repair, alter or make additions to an existing building or structure.

Building Permits ARE NOT REQUIRED for:

  • Fences, sidewalks, planters

  • Retaining walls that are less than 1.2 metres in height

  • Painting, decorating and general maintenance

  • Minor repairs using similar or same materials for maintenance which do not affect any electrical or mechanical work

  • Accessory buildings not greater than 10 square metres in area, if they do not create a hazard

It may also be necessary for you to obtain a Development Permit prior to submitting an application for a Building Permit.

More details are available in our brochure called Development & Building Permits - permit requirements for common home renovations.

You can view all current Building Permits; Development Permits; Land use Amendment, Outline Plans and Road Closure applications; and Public Notices for Development Permits on The City’s My Property map.

interactive map

  1. Click on the map image to the left to take you to the interactive map.
  2. Select the categories tab on the left side menu.
  3. Select ‘Land Use and Development’ under the categories menu.
  4. Select the individual layers to display for Building Permits, Development Permits, etc. These will then show on the map.
    *Please note – for some layers to display you will need to zoom in on the map view, which can be done using the zoom tool at the top of the map.


Electrical and plumbing
In addition to a Building Permit, if you intend to install or modify electrical wiring and/or plumbing, you will require separate Electrical and Plumbing Permits.  Your licensed electrical and/or plumbing contractor is responsible for obtaining these permits.

You also have the option of obtaining a homeowner's Electrical Permit and/or a homeowner's Plumbing Permit.  In order to qualify for these permits;

  • the home must be a single family dwelling;

  • you must be the owner and occupant of the home; and

  • you must be performing the installations yourself.


Gas and heating
All gas and heating installations (including piping) must be carried out by a qualified licensed contractor.
The fee structure forBuilding Permit fees is also available.  Fees for the other disciplines are stated on the respective web pages and are in the various annual bulletins.
BizPaL is intended to simplify the processes for permit applications, business licences and other compliance regulations for entrepreneurs, governments, and third party business service providers, by providing Canadian businesses with one-stop access to permit and licence information for federal, provincial and municipal governments.